From the Future, LLC
Based in Denton, Texas
Early April, 2017 (Early Access)
Hopalong: The Badlands is a VR game where violence and comedy combine with a one-of-a-kind movement system. Hop, skip or simply wave your stick horse up and down to gallop smoothly through a western landscape overrun by the villainous group known as the Dynamite Gang. They are beyond redemption and there is no “or Alive” part on their wanted posters.
On Labor Day weekend 2016 an internal game-jam took place. The event was inspired by the singular idea of capturing the galloping motion needed to “ride” a stick horse by an HTC Vive wand and using that to move the virtual steed and the player forward. The first test game was a stick cow roping level. The player bounced up and down with a controller in one hand and used the other to spin and throw a lasso. People who watched the first test laughed so hard we knew that we were on to something and immediately began development in earnest. The initial idea was to develop a series of mini-games. We started with Roundup, The Badlands, and Gauntlet. Roundup was a continuation of the cow roping while Badlands was a western themed shoot-em-up. Gauntlet was initially inspired by the idea of jousting but soon evolved into running a gauntlet of knights as an evil knight intent on taking the castle. During development we soon discovered that The Badlands, featuring the Dynamite Gang, was the clear winner in the fun department. Roundup failed to develop as an idea beyond roping stick cows, but we have future aspirations of fighting cattle rustlers. Gauntlet lacked some of the Badlands fun because the weapons were mostly melee based and the combat too fast paced to really be fun. We will soon remedy this by turning the player into an evil wizard wielding a spell casting staff...which can also be used to blast knights off their stick horses. The Steam Early Access release of Hopalong will feature three Badlands levels where players hunt down the Dynamite Gang ruled by Boss Bombity. The player starts off with her trusty eight shooter and earns more weapons after each successful level completion. The goal is to release two more Badlands levels followed by five Gauntlet levels. Many more varieties of stick horses will be added. Players can choose what horse they want to ride from the corral in the start level.
- Unique and effective VR locomotion
- Earn new rides and weapons as you progress
- Large western-themed levels
- Comedy combined with violent action
- See who you killed by reading thier pop-up tombstone
The Good, The Bad... YouTube
Hopalong: The Badlands - Joe Coffee in Mixed Reality YouTube
Hopalong The Badlands - Blazing StickSteeds - VR Mixed Reality Vive Gameplay YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Easily one of the best VR games I've played. Really well done."
- [Praetor]grant, Steam
- "Hopalong: The Badlands is beautiful. Very beautiful! It really has that well-made and good looking graphics, cool environment and that funny wild-west stylish atmosphere. The one-of-a-kind locomotion itself adds so much to the game! All in all, a truly entertaining, beautiful western-shooter."
- SweViver, Steam
- "One of the better VR games. Nice humor and very polished overall!"
- Weird Wizard Dave, Youtube
- "One of those classic arcade western games from the 80s with a twist that you get to be in the game. Praise Jesus!"
- Godisloveforyou, Steam
- "Riding through the ol' west on a stick horse - I like it! Very immersive and very intuitive controls."
- electrode, Steam
- "This game is so good! I wish all VR games were made like this."
- Kris.vdv, Steam
- "If you like Westerns, this is the game for you."
- Beyond Gaming, YouTube
Mixed reality broadcast of comedians and developers playing Hopalong. twitch.tv.
About From the Future, LLC
From the Future is an independent VR studio made up of experienced and inspired developers that have been involved in pioneering work on all the major VR platforms. The company is currently releasing Hopalong: The Badlands, a comical VR shooter where justice is rough and rides a stick horse.
More information on From the Future, LLC, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Hopalong: The Badlands Credits