From the Future, LLC
Based in Denton, Texas
Nov 21, 2017
Hopalong: The Badlands is a VR game where cartoon violence and comedy combine with satirical commentary and exploration to create an immersive western experience. Hop, skip or simply wave your stick horse up and down to gallop smoothly through a western landscape overrun by the villainous group known as the Dynamite Gang. They are beyond redemption and there is no “or Alive” part on their wanted posters. The player starts off with their trusty eight shooter and earns more weapons after each successful level completion. Many more varieties of stick horses can also be unlocked through progression.
On Labor Day weekend 2016 an internal game-jam took place. The event was inspired by the singular idea of capturing the galloping motion needed to “ride” a stick horse by an HTC Vive controller and using that to move the virtual steed and the player forward. The first test game was a stick cow roping level. The player bounced up and down with a controller in one hand and used the other to spin and throw a lasso. People who watched the first test laughed so hard we knew that we were on to something and immediately began development in earnest. The initial idea was to develop a series of mini-games. We started with Roundup, The Badlands, and Gauntlet. Roundup was a continuation of the cow roping while Badlands was a western themed shoot-em-up. Gauntlet was initially inspired by the idea of jousting but soon evolved into running a gauntlet of knights as an evil knight intent on taking the castle. During development we soon discovered that The Badlands, featuring the Dynamite Gang, was the clear winner in the fun department, while Gauntlet took a close second and will be further developed in the future. The Steam Early Access release of Hopalong will feature three Badlands levels where players hunt down the Dynamite Gang ruled by Boss Boomity.
- Unique and effective VR locomotion
- Earn new rides and weapons as you progress
- Large western-themed levels to explore
- Comedic violence and commentary
- Polished and themed graphics
Hopalong: The Badlands Trailer YouTube
Hopalong: The Badlands - Joe Coffee in Mixed Reality YouTube
Hopalong The Badlands - Blazing StickSteeds - VR Mixed Reality Vive Gameplay YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "Easily one of the best VR games I've played. Really well done."
- [Praetor]grant, Steam
- "Hopalong: The Badlands is beautiful. Very beautiful! It really has that well-made and good looking graphics, cool environment and that funny wild-west stylish atmosphere. The one-of-a-kind locomotion itself adds so much to the game! All in all, a truly entertaining, beautiful western-shooter."
- SweViver, Steam
- "One of the better VR games. Nice humor and very polished overall!"
- Weird Wizard Dave, Youtube
- "One of those classic arcade western games from the 80s with a twist that you get to be in the game. Praise Jesus!"
- Godisloveforyou, Steam
- "Riding through the ol' west on a stick horse - I like it! Very immersive and very intuitive controls."
- electrode, Steam
- "This game is so good! I wish all VR games were made like this."
- Kris.vdv, Steam
- "If you like Westerns, this is the game for you."
- Beyond Gaming, YouTube
Mixed reality broadcast of comedians and developers playing Hopalong. twitch.tv.
About From the Future, LLC
From the Future is an independent virtual reality studio based in Denton TX, that has a long history of game development. Our team has been involved in pioneering VR work for the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Samsung Gear VR, and Google Cardboard systems.
More information on From the Future, LLC, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Hopalong: The Badlands Credits